Are weighted blankets the greatest invention since sliced bread? That’s debatable, but what’s not debatable is that they are instantly loved by everyone who gets one. These hefty blankets can reduce anxiety, lead to better sleep, and up the comfy factor of any bed or couch. But, you may be wondering how to keep your favorite cozy weighted blanket clean and in great condition after everyday use?
How to Clean a Weighted Blanket
Knowing how to wash a weighted blanket is an essential part of owning one. It may be tempting just to throw it in the washing machine, but since this blanket is made of different materials than a standard throw – and contains glass beads or plastic poly pellets – that might not be the best way to launder it to ensure that it lasts.
That being said, there is a way to wash your weighted blankets at home without giving your washing machine premature wear and tear. In fact, there are several ways that you can wash and dry a weighted blanket that will allow you to make sure that you can have a clean weighted blanket for years to come. Follow our step-by-step instructions below to learn more!
How to Wash a Weighted Blanket: Step By Step
Before you learn how to wash and dry a weighted blanket, always read the care tag that’s attached to it. It contains the information you’ll need to move forward in the cleaning process. It’s also important to double-check how heavy your weighted blanket is. If it’s 12 lbs (or 5.5 kgs) or over, you’ll need to take your blanket to a laundromat (or dry cleaner, but more on that later!) so you can wash it in a machine that can handle larger loads.
If you’re able to machine wash or hand wash your weighted blanket at home, here’s what you’ll need:
- Mild Laundry Detergent
- Stain Remover
- Dish Soap (Optional)
- Bathtub (Optional)
- Pretreat any stains with a mild stain remover and follow the instructions that are on the bottle.
- If your blanket has grease stains or other oil-based stains, wet the area with water and apply dish soap. Then, gently scrub the area to ensure that the dish soap can penetrate the blanket’s fibers.
- If you do not see any other stains are debris, you can start washing your blanket.
Depending on the fabric of the blanket and materials used to give it weight, you can wash it in either cold or warm water. It’s best to check the care instructions so you will know exactly how to proceed. Here are washing instructions for a cotton-based blanket with poly-pellets.
- Insert laundry detergent either into the drum or into the detergent compartment of the machine.
- Insert your pretreated weighted blanket.
- Wash the blanket on the gentle cycle using either cold or warm water. The temperature of the water will depend if you are treating any stains.
- When the cycle is done, remove the blanket from the washing machine immediately.
If your blanket cannot be machine washed, it may be able to be hand washed. Here are some general cleaning instructions for this method.
- Fill a bathtub halfway with cold or lukewarm water.
- Pour in laundry detergent and agitate the water to evenly distribute the detergent throughout.
- Submerge your pretreated blanket into the water, and start to knead it with your hands.
- Drain the bathtub, leaving your blanket in it.
- Fill the bathtub with fresh water to rinse the blanket.
- Remove the blanket from the water and drain your bathtub again.
- Wring out any excess water from the blanket.
How to Dry a Weighted Blanket
Again, how you dry your weighted blanket ultimately depends on what it can withstand heat-wise, so check the care instructions located on your blanket. Generally, however, you can either air dry weighted blankets or tumble dry them on the low heat or air fluff setting.
If you do opt to air dry your blanket, hang it over a long, well-ventilated structure, like a banister. Additionally, be sure to shake the blanket occasionally to ensure that your blanket’s weight continues to be evenly distributed.
Can You Dry Clean a Weighted Blanket?
Yes! Some weighted blankets can be dry cleaned, so the hard work of keeping them clean can be as easy as dropping them off at your favorite dry cleaners! Just make sure your weighted blanket has a care tag attached that indicates it is safe to dry clean.
At Mulberrys Garment Care, we pride ourselves on taking great care of not only your garments but your household linens as well. Our Minneapolis and San Francisco dry cleaners are open and looking forward to delivering a 100% satisfaction guaranteed cleaning for items like bedding, towels, and other everyday household items. We also offer premium wash and fold laundry service. Take advantage of our convenient dry cleaning pickup and delivery so you won’t even have to leave your home.
So, what are you waiting for? Get your weighted blanket dry cleaned at Mulberrys today!