Let’s face it – there’s no better feeling than putting on a brand new pair of white shoes. White shoes are essential in most people’s closets because they go with anything and are very trendy right now. But, the one downside of owning white shoes is the constant chore of trying to keep them clean.
White shoes seem to attract dirt and debris more than any other kind of shoe, and it’s difficult to stay vigilant of puddles and other potential sources of dirt when you’re out and about. So, when your white shoes do inevitably get dirty, it’s important for you to know how to clean them and have them looking like new again.
Follow along below as we detail how to clean white shoes in three easy ways.
The 3 Best Ways to Keep White Shoes Clean
What You Need to Clean White Shoes
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Baking Soda
- Multipurpose Cleaner
- Laundry Bag
- Warm water
- Soft cloth
- Bleach or Bleach Pen
Machine Washing White Shoes
- Tie the laces together and put your white shoes in a laundry bag.
- Get rid of loose debris and spot clean any dirt patches with a bleach pen.
- Set your washing machine on a gentle setting with cold water.
- Using a gentle detergent, add about half of the amount you would use for a normal load.
- Run the cycle.
- Air dry when the cycle is finished.
Hand Wash White Shoes with Baking Soda
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda, one-half tablespoon water, and one-half tablespoon hydrogen peroxide to create a smooth paste.
- Using a new toothbrush, gently brush the mixture into the shoe’s surface firmly to work the paste in.
- Repeat the previous step.
- Set your shoes and laces in the sun to dry for about 3 to 4 hours. You’ll know it’s dry when the paste is cracking off.
- Brush off any excess paste and re-lace.
Hand Wash White Shoes with Bleach
- Make a solution of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water.
- Dip a toothbrush in the solution, then scrub your shoes firmly.
- Rinse the toothbrush with water to ensure there’s no remaining bleach and then scrub the stains until they’re gone.
Note: When air-drying, be sure to leave your shoes in a warm, bright area (preferably in direct sunlight) to enhance the whitening power of your solutions.
Get Your Shoes Cleaned or Repaired at Mulberrys!
Mulberrys is proud to offer shoe repair and cleaning services that will polish and restore your shoes so they look as good as the day you bought them. Whether you need to clean your white shoes or require a complete shoe repair, Mulberrys has you covered in Minneapolis and San Francisco. Reach out to us today to learn what our shoe services can do for you!