Cold weather months typically mean lots of travel, whether you’re heading home for a traditional Thanksgiving or looking for stress relief by abandoning the holiday buzz for a ski vacation or mountain retreat.
If you’re traveling during the fall or winter months, or if you’re heading to a destination that’s cold year-round, you’ll likely have to figure out how to pack a jacket, parka, or heavy winter coat. Jackets and coats can be bulky, however, which means that you’ll have to pack them in a certain way or else they either won’t fit or they’ll take up your entire suitcase.
Learn more about the best fabrics for winter and cold weather!
To avoid either situation, we’ve compiled some proven tips and tricks on how to pack a jacket or fold a heavy winter coat in the most efficient way possible.
- Zip the Jacket Up – Zipping up your winter coat or jacket will make the rest of the process a lot easier! Additionally, it will ensure that your coat will remain as crease-free as possible.
- Fold in the Sleeves – It’s important to tame your sleeves now, so fold them backward at a natural angle. Your sleeves shouldn’t overlap.
- Fold the Jacket in Half – Now, fold your winter coat along the midline to ensure that everything is neat and tidy. Be sure that the front of your coat or jacket is facing outward.
- Roll it Up – After you’ve folded your winter coat or jacket, it’s time to roll it, Marie Kondo style! Make sure to keep the edges straight and to release any trapped air while you are rolling. The tighter the roll, the smaller your coat will be in your suitcase.
- Secure the Roll with Heavy Duty Bands – Just like a sleeping bag, if you don’t secure the roll, all of your hard work will unravel as soon as you let go. Make sure to find heavy-duty rubber bands to keep your heavy winter coat or jacket in place (note: if you use thin rubber bands, they are liable to break.)
Now that you know how to fold jackets for travel during the winter, now you’ll need to know how to keep it clean. That’s where Mulberrys comes in. We’re proud to offer a host of services that are designed to keep all your garments clean and tidy. To learn more about how we can clean your winter coat, visit our dry cleaners in Minneapolis, or San Francisco.